The International Step by Step Association (ISSA) is a vibrant network that connects professionals and non-profit organizations working in the field of early childhood development. Established in the Netherlands in 1999, ISSA’s community today stretches across the globe with more than 75 members coming from close to 40 countries, primarily located in Europe and Central Asia. In addition to providing capacity building and networking opportunities to its members, ISSA also offers a range of services and resources to other stakeholders, increasingly acting as a broader platform for early childhood education and care. With an annual budget between 1 - 1,5 million EURO, ISSA’s operations are carried out through its programmatic and networking activities, with an emerging social enterprise division to generate unrestricted income from sales of services.
ISSA seeks to hire a Finance Manager based at ISSA’s offices in Leiden/The Netherlands, to manage ISSA’s overall finances. The Finance Manager reports to the Executive Director. The position is ideally part-time at 0,6 FTE, to be negotiated with the successful candidate.
- Oversee and manage financial strategy and planning, monitoring, and reporting to stakeholders, including management reporting and ad-hoc financial analysis;
- Fine-tune and manage financial policies, systems and processes;
- Ensure that sound financial records are maintained to meet legal and governance requirements; oversee preparations for the annual audit;
- Oversee the development of unrestricted funds budgets;
- Streamline management reporting routines so as to enable monitoring the operations against short and long term financial targets (revenues, expenses, cash flows);
- Analyze budget patterns and project expenditures; prepare forecasts and budgets; assess the financial implications of new or existing ventures as needed;
- Maintain and improve project planning, control and reporting systems;
- Conduct reviews and evaluations for cost-reduction opportunities;
- Liaise with relevant service providers. Gather and analyze tenders from service providers as needed; prepare recommendations on best options for ISSA
- Provide financial advice and support to the Executive Director and other ISSA staff; collaborate as necessary on ISSA’s other activities (events, partnership projects etc.)
- Contribute to the fundraising process by preparing budgets for funding requests, preparing grant reports and by monitoring and reporting on the fundraising progress from the financial point of view
12. Oversee the process of maintaining of a filing system with original employment/service/consultants/grant contracts
- Attend and contribute to meetings of ISSA’s governance bodies: Council, Board, Audit Committee etc.
- Maintain continuous professional development and liase with colleagues in the non-profit and private sector to keep abreast of developments which are relevant for financial management.
Education and Knowledge:
- University degree in financial management, business, or related field. A Master’s degree or equivalent experience is preferred. An MBA, ACCA or chartered accountant degree is an advantage.
- At least 5 years related financial experience in an international setting:
- establishing management reporting routines to serve all levels of users within the organization in their planning, monitoring and decision making processes
- establishing internal policies and procedures affecting all areas of operations
- preparing business plans, forecasts and budgets
- reporting (experience in reporting on EU-funded projects is an advantage)
- Experience with the use of financial software applications, databases, spreadsheets, and word processing is required
- Experience in both the non-profit and the profit sector is an advantage.
Abilities and Skills
- Fluency in English and Dutch
- Knowledge of Dutch financial regulations
- High level of organization and self-motivation
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to prioritize work and meet tight deadlines
- A strong commitment to ISSA’s values
- Entrepreneurial skills and instincts would be an advantage.
All applications will be considered on their merit against the criteria above.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Commensurate with experience.
Applicants should send:
- a letter of interest of up to two-pages indicating why they are ideally qualified for the position
- a full CV
- the names and contact information of two referees.
Applications should be sent via email to Bregje van Bemmel at firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating in the subject line: Finance Manager Position.
All applicants will receive an acknowledgment of receipt but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted in the course of the selection process.
Application Deadline: 27 October, 2017
Recruitment will continue until a suitable candidate is found.
ISSA is an equal opportunity employer, which supports diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation.